Monday, May 4, 2015

JOESEDDIT’S CRATES FULL OF VINYL – STILLS-YOUNG BAND, CSN, 
SIMON & GARFUNKEL
I’ve got a couple of crates full of old vinyl albums that I haven’t listened to in years due to lack of equipment to play them. Over a period of about a year and a half I revisited each album on the internet or bought the CD and ranked the songs. I also recorded some brief thoughts, rated the album, and posted the results on Rolling Stone’s 100 Greatest Artists comment section. I’m recycling and categorizing/grouping the posts on this website.


Long May You Run
As might be expected, some good songs from Neil and some pedestrian at best songs from Stills. Young’s songs are in the A-B range, Stills’ offerings are in the C-D range, so I middled the grade.
Scale of 1 to 10:  C +

1- Long May You Run
2- Fontainebleau
3- Midnight on the Bay
4- Let It Shine
5- Ocean Girl
6- Guardian Angel
7- Black Coral
8- Make Love to You
9- 12/8 Blues (All the Same)

CSN
Not to be confused with the more popular “Crosby, Stills and Nash” album which I never bought, probably because I had the greatest hits album. I haven’t listened to this one since way back in my younger days and pretty much forgot about it, so I approached it with low expectations. Except for the song “Carried Away”, which I remember liking, especially the harmonica. Upon review, I think I like it even more. I don’t know if it was nostalgia, sad memories, or the melody, but the friggin’ song brought a tear to my eye (I know, I know. I’m a wuss). I gained some respect for Graham Nash, here. He turns in four nice introspective tunes which are at the top of my list.
Scale of 1 to 10:  B –

1- Carried Away
2- Cathedral
3- Cold Rain
4- Just a Song Before I Go
5- Dark Star
6- Anything at All
7- In My Dreams
8- Fair Game
9- Run from the Tears
10- I Give You Give Blind
11- Shadow Captain
12- See the Changes

Bridge Over Troubled Water
As I was typing out the songs I had to stop to verify that this wasn’t a Simon and Garfunkel greatest hits compilation. I like the title song, but not as much as most seem to.
Scale of 1 to 10:  A

1- Song for the Asking
2- The Only Living Boy in New York
3- The Boxer
4- Baby Driver
5- Why Don’t You Write Me
6- El Condor Pasa
7- Bridge over Troubled Water
8- Keep the Customer Satisfied
9- Cecilia
10- So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright
11- Bye Bye Love







No comments: