Friday, May 1, 2015

JOESEDDIT’S CRATES FULL OF VINYL – STEELY DAN
I’ve got a couple of crates full of old vinyl albums that I haven’t listened to in years due to lack of equipment to play them. Over a period of about a year and a half I revisited each album on the internet or bought the CD and ranked the songs. I also recorded some brief thoughts, rated the album, and posted the results on Rolling Stone’s 100 Greatest Artists comment section. I’m recycling and categorizing/grouping  the posts on this website.


Countdown to Ecstasy 
I think there isn’t much separation between Steely Dan albums. All of their songs are like one big album and could easily be interchanged and not seem out of place. That having been said, I can’t believe I’m the only one that ranks this as The Dan’s best album.
Scale of 1 to 10:  A +

1- Showbiz Kids
2- Razor Boy
3- Boston Rag
4- My Old School
5- Bodhisattva
6- Pearl of the Quarter
7- King of the World
8- Your Gold Teeth

Katy Lied
I like every one of Steely Dan’s first six albums. “Countdown” is my favorite, but after that it’s difficult for me to rank ‘em in order. I’m thinking this one might be my second favorite by just a skosh. Still not sure though.
Scale of 1 to 10:  A –

1- Daddy Don't Live in That New York City
2- Chain Lightning
3- Black Friday
4- Bad Sneakers
5- Doctor Wu
6- Rose Darling
7- Everyone's Gone to the Movies
8- Your Gold Teeth II
9- Throw Back the Little Ones
10- Any World (That I'm Welcome To)

Aja
Goes to show how much I love the Dan. Great album but I still rank it behind all SD albums that precede it.
Scale of 1 to 10:  B +

1- Josie
2- Deacon Blues
3- Home At Last
4- Aja
5- Peg
6- I Got the News
7- Black Cow
                                                              
Pretzel Logic
“Countdown” is my favorite but after that I haven’t been able to separate Steely Dan albums. After revisiting the two, I rank this one behind “Katy Lied”. Not sayin’ it isn’t good, mind you. I love every one of the Dan’s first six albums.
Scale of 1 to 10:  A –

1- Pretzel Logic
2- Rikki Don’t Lose That Number
3- East St.Louis Toodle-oo
4- Any Major Dude Will Tell You
5- Monkey In Your Soul
6- Parker’s Band
7- Barrytown
8- Charlie Freak
9- With a Gun
10- Night By Night
11- Through With Buzz

The Royal Scam
This will be the fifth of six Steely Dan albums I’ve covered. I’ve never been able to separate the albums for purposes of ranking after my favorite- “Countdown”. This one is certainly solid Dan (hell, all six of ‘em are), but “Katy Lied” still sits in second place on my list.
Scale of 1 to 10:  A –

1- Kid Charlemagne
2- The Fez
3- Haitian Divorce
4- Sign in Stranger
5- Don’t Take Me Alive
6- Green Earrings
7- The Cave of Altamira
8- Everything You Did
9- The Royal Scam

Can’t Buy a Thrill
This is the last Steely Dan album in the crate. I fired all of my other “Dan” bullets early in this project so it’s been a while since I listened to a full SD album. Maybe that’s why I enjoyed it so much. “Do it Again” is a great song to kick off an album and a career (this is their first album). I’m sure about ranking it first. The rest of the songs could be moved up or down a spot or two; I like all of ‘em. Heck, I just love the Dan. Clean recordings and precise production yet they don’t come off as sterile. An air of sophistication yet at the same time ratty. And a style that’s difficult to classify – a genre all their own. As much as I like this album, I don’t rank it at the top of my Steely Dan list. There are others.    
Scale of 1 to 10:  A –

1- Do it Again
2- Reelin’ in the Years
3- Kings
4- Only a Fool Would Say That
5- Midnite Cruiser
6- Dirty Work
7- Change of the Guard
8- Brooklyn (Owes the Charmer Under Me)
9- Fire in the Hole
10- Turn That Heartbeat Over Again




No comments: