Thursday, May 7, 2015

JOESEDDIT’S CRATES FULL OF VINYL – SPYRO GYRA, ROGER WATERS
I’ve got a couple of crates full of old vinyl albums that I haven’t listened to in years due to lack of equipment to play them. Over a period of about a year and a half I revisited each album on the internet or bought the CD and ranked the songs. I also recorded some brief thoughts, rated the album, and posted the results on Rolling Stone’s 100 Greatest Artists comment section. I’m recycling and categorizing/grouping the posts on this website.


City Kids
I’m not sure what prompted me to buy a Spyro Gyra album. I guess ‘cuz I like instrumentals so much and maybe felt like exploring a different genre. Wikipedia classifies them as jazz fusion. It doesn’t really fit in the R&R category and only stayed in my rotation for a few months, so this is another one I was originally gonna skip. It’s not bad, but it is a bit sterile and some of it sounds like intro music to a late 70s sit-com (Barney Miller, Night Court, etc…). I’m not sure how to grade it. I really don’t have a point of reference when it comes to this style, but I know I like “Haverstraw Road” and for the most part it was easy listening that was enjoyable in a background music kind of way. Didn’t hate it, anyway. But I’m not sure it would stand up well to repeated listenings. I’m gonna put it somehwere in the middle.
Scale of 1 to 10:  C -

1- Haverstraw Road
2- A Ballad
3- Serpent in Paradise
4- Nightlife
5- City Kids
6- Islands in the Sky
7- Conversations
8- Silver Linings

Radio K A O S
I guess you’d assume I bought this Roger Waters album because I was a fan of his work with Pink Floyd. Truth is, I didn’t follow Floyd close enough to even know the names of the band members. I bought this album for a song I heard on the radio - “Sunset Strip”- which I still like today. I ended up recording it on a mix tape and only listened to the full album a handful of times. I didn’t have high expectations going into this revisit and, for the most part, my expectations were met save a few exceptions. It’s a concept album and the concept is kinda cool, so I probably should have given it a few more points but I didn’t.
Scale of 1 to 10:  D

Radio K A O S
1- Sunset Strip
2- Four Minutes
3- Radio Waves
4- The Tide is Turning (After Live Aid)
5- Who Needs Information
6- The Powers That Be
7- Me or Him
8- Home



No comments: