Thursday, May 14, 2015

JOESEDDIT’S CRATES FULL OF VINYL – LYNYRD SKYNYRD
I’ve got a couple of crates full of old vinyl albums that I haven’t listened to in years due to lack of equipment to play them. Over a period of about a year and a half I revisited each album on the internet or bought the CD and ranked the songs. I also recorded some brief thoughts, rated the album, and posted the results on Rolling Stone’s 100 Greatest Artists comment section. I’m recycling and categorizing/grouping the posts on this website.


Second Helping
They’ve become the cliché to describe redneck hillbillies but I think it’s fair to say these ol’ boys could kick out some jam.
Scale of 1 to 10:  A

1-Call Me the Breeze
2-Sweet Home Alabama
3-I Need You
4-The Needle and the Spoon
5-Workin for the MCA
6-Swamp Music
7-Don’t Ask Me No Questions
8-The Ballad of Curtis Lowe

Street Survivors
I’m going to recycle a comment I made previously about a different Lynyrd Skynyrd album: They’ve become the cliché to describe redneck hillbillies but I think it’s fair to say these ol’ boys could kick out some jam. I was pleasantly surprised here ‘cuz I don’t remember enjoying this album as much as I did upon this revisit. They don’t pretend to be philosophers with their lyrics, but that’s fine ‘cuz deep, “Jack Handy” type stuff wouldn’t marry up with this music anyway, which I’ll describe as (using one of the titles) honky tonk night time party music. If you like southern rock, I don’t know how you couldn’t like this album. 4 through 6 on my list are interchangeable. 7 and 8 don’t stand up to the first six.
Scale of 1 to 10:  A –

1- Honky Tonk Night Time Man
2- I Know a Little
3- That Smell
4- What’s Your Name
5- You Got That Right
6- I Never Dreamed
7- Ain’t No Good Life
8- One More Time




No comments: