Monday, April 20, 2015

JOESEDDIT’S CRATES FULL OF VINYL – MARSHALL TUCKER BAND
I’ve got a couple of crates full of old vinyl albums that I haven’t listened to in years due to lack of equipment to play them. Over a period of about a year and a half I revisited each album on the internet or bought the CD and ranked the songs. I also recorded some brief thoughts, rated the album, and posted the results on Rolling Stone’s 100 Greatest Artists comment section. I’m recycling and categorizing/grouping the posts on this website.


A New Life
I wasn’t much into southern rock, but The Marshall Tucker Band had some songs that couldn’t be ignored. “24 Hours at a Time” was one of ‘em; easily the best song on this album. The rest of the album varies from OK to good, and like most southern rock, the lyrics are kinda obvious. I didn’t listen to this one often back in the “vinyl” days; I was into other stuff at the time. But I always liked a band that was willing to jam and MTB fit the description. I have some more of their albums in the crate, but I’m not sure if I’ll revisit.
Scale of 1 to 10:  C

1- 24 Hours at a Time
2- Blue Ridge Mountain
3- You ain’t Foolin’ Me
4- Another Cruel Love
5- Too Stubborn
6- Southern Woman
7- A New Life
8- Fly Eagle Fly

Running Like the Wind
There was a time when The Marshall Tucker Band was popular around my neck of the woods. In certain circles, anyway. I didn’t jump in with both feet but I did dip my toe in the water every now and again. I like a few of their songs a lot, none of which are on this album. I found a few MTB albums in the crates but I only remember buying one of them. The rest I either inherited or maybe bought out of a discount bin as an afterthought. I wasn’t gonna revisit all of ‘em but recently changed my mind about that. Like I said about a previous revisit of a different MTB album, the lyrics are kinda obvious. The first song on my list is pretty good and I like any band that takes the time to jam, but for the most part, this album comes off as cliché to me.
Scale of 1 to 10:  C –

1- Running Like the Wind
2- Melody Ann
3- Last of the Singing Cowboys
4- Unto These Hills
5- My Best Friend
6- Pass it On
7- Answer to Love

Tenth
I don’t know where I got all these Marshall Tucker Band albums I found in the crates but here’s another. This one has the least amount of “southern” in the southern rock label that’s attached to the band. I’m not sure if that has anything to do with my stating that this is the best MTB album I’ve revisited so far. It doesn’t contain any of their signature songs, but it’s fairly consistent throughout. This one just barely crosses the “B” threshold.
Scale of 1 to 10:  B –

1- Cattle Drive
2- Gospel Singin’ Man
3- See You One More Time
4- Sing My Blues
5- Save My Soul
6- Foolish Dreaming
7- Jimi
8- Without You
9- Disillusion
10- It Takes Time

Long Hard Ride
Another from the Marshall Tucker Band. Two good songs, another that stands above the rest, and one bad song. The others range from slightly below average to slightly above average.
Scale of 1 to 10:  C

1- Long Hard Ride
2- Walkin’ the Streets Alone
3- You Say You Love Me
4- Property Line
5- Holding On to You
6- Windy City Blues
7- Am I the Kind of Man
8- You Don’t Live Forever

Together Forever
This is the last of the Marshall Tucker Band albums in the crates. Some good jams in spots but otherwise nothing that stands out as exceptional.
Scale of 1 to 10:  C

1- Change is Gonna Come
2- Dream Lover
3- Everybody Needs Somebody
4- Singing Rhymes
5- I’ll Be Loving You
6- Love is a Mystery
7- Asking Too Much




No comments: