Sunday, April 5, 2015

JOESEDDIT’S CRATES FULL OF VINYL – JANIS JOPLIN  
I’ve got a couple of crates full of old vinyl albums that I haven’t listened to in years due to lack of equipment to play them. Over a period of about a year and a half I revisited each album on the internet or bought the CD and ranked the songs. I also recorded some brief thoughts, rated the album, and posted the results on Rolling Stone’s 100 Greatest Artists comment section. I’m recycling and categorizing/grouping  the posts on this website.


Cheap Thrills
Maybe it’s just good showmanship but when Janis sings the blues I believe her.
One of her most popular songs -“Piece of My Heart”-  never has been and still isn’t one of my favorites.
Scale of 1 to 10:  A

1-Summertime
2-Combination of the Two
3-Ball and Chain
4-I Need a Man to Love
5-Turtle Blues
6-Piece of My Heart
7-Oh, Sweet Mary

Pearl
This is the last of only four studio albums released by Janis Joplin. “Cheap Thrills” is the only other one I have in the crates. Loved that one. This one, not so much. Not then, not now. I believe it’s highly acclaimed, but for whatever reason, it’s nothing special to me. “Bobby McGee” is a classic, but after that the songs are ok - nothing awful or anything - just…….nothing special. For me, anyway.
Scale of 1 to 10:  C

1- Me and Bobby McGee
2- Move Over
3- Get it While You Can
4- Trust Me
5- Buried Alive in the Blues
6- Mercedes Benz
7- Half Moon
8- Cry Baby
9- My Baby
10- A Woman Left Lonely






No comments: