Thursday, April 9, 2015

JOESEDDIT’S CRATES FULL OF VINYL – ERIC CLAPTON  
I’ve got a couple of crates full of old vinyl albums that I haven’t listened to in years due to lack of equipment to play them. Over a period of about a year and a half I revisited each album on the internet or bought the CD and ranked the songs. I also recorded some brief thoughts, rated the album, and posted the results on Rolling Stone’s 100 Greatest Artists comment section. I’m recycling and categorizing/grouping  the posts on this website.


Backless
I tried to be a big Eric Clapton fan. This album was one of my attempts. I gave it a fair chance back in the vinyl days but I remember it never found its way to the “prime time” rotation. “Bland” was the word that kept running through my head during this revisit. Just not much creativity going on here. I don’t much care for his singing and most of the few songs he wrote himself are near the bottom of my list. I’d prefer he showcase his guitar playing more, but even that wasn’t anything special. Not on this album, anyway. I know he can play.
Scale of 1 to 10:  C

1- Promises
2- I’ll Make Love to You Anytime
3- Tulsa Time
4- Watch Out for Lucy
5- If I Don’t Be There by Morning
6- Walk Out in the Rain
7- Early in the Morning
8- Tell Me That You Love Me
9- Golden Ring
10- Roll It

From the Cradle
This is another one that isn’t exactly in the crates but my cassette is old enough to throw into the mix. This album is strictly hardcore standard R&B, a format perfect for a lead guitar player like Eric Clapton. And Clapton does play his guitar on this one and plays it well, although still not quite as much as might be expected (blues harp is featured almost as much). To me, his vocals seem a little forced and out of place in this genre, but other than that, there really isn’t much to complain about. But other than a few instances, there really isn’t much to get excited about either. I love hardcore R&B, but not in large doses and it isn’t always my first choice. When I am in the mood, this album will suffice. But it won’t do much more than suffice.
Scale of 1 to 10:  B –

1- Someday After a While
2- I’m Tore Down
3- Goin’ Away Baby
4- How Long Blues
5- Five Long Years
6- Groaning the Blues
7- Third Degree
8- Driftin’
9- Reconsider Baby
10- Blues Before Sunrise
11- It Hurts Me Too
12- Blues Leave Me Alone
13- Sinner’s Prayer
14- Hoochie Coochie Man
15- Standin’ Round Crying
16- Motherless Child




No comments: