Monday, April 13, 2015

JOESEDDIT’S CRATES FULL OF VINYL – BOB MARLEY
I’ve got a couple of crates full of old vinyl albums that I haven’t listened to in years due to lack of equipment to play them. Over a period of about a year and a half I revisited each album on the internet or bought the CD and ranked the songs. I also recorded some brief thoughts, rated the album, and posted the results on Rolling Stone’s 100 Greatest Artists comment section. I’m recycling and categorizing/grouping  the posts on this website.


Catch A Fire
Ah, springtime. Something about warming temperatures that turns me to Bob Marley. I tire of reggae after about an hour (hardcore 1-4-5 R&B, too), but love it up until my “saturation” point.
Scale of 1 to 10:  B +

1- Stir It Up
2- Concrete Jungle
3- No More Trouble
4- Stop That Train
5- Midnight Ravers
6- Kinky Reggae
7- Slave Driver
8- Baby We’ve Got a Date
9- 400 Years

Live!
I’d rather this album came to the top of the pile earlier in the year ‘cuz it feels a bit out of season right now. Something about Bob Marley and reggae that makes me think of Spring/early Summer. No matter, great album. For the most part I’m not covering the live albums in the crates so I’m not sure why I’m making an exception here. I guess it’s ‘cuz this is the album that introduced me to Marley and it’s these versions I think of when any of these songs are mentioned. “Trenchtown Rock” is one of my favorite Marley songs – great way to kick off an album. There’s really not a bad song on the album.
Scale of 1 to 10:  A

1- Trenchtown Rock
2- No Woman, No Cry
3- I Shot the Sheriff
4- Lively Up Yourself
5- Get Up, Stand Up
6- Them Belly Full (But We Hungry)
7- Burnin’ and Lootin’



No comments: