Sunday, January 31, 2016

                  joeseddit’s
‘Cipherin’ The Song
Many songwriters refuse to offer the meaning of their lyrics, instead preferring to allow the listener to come up with his/her own interpretation. And surprisingly, some songwriters admit that they don’t even know the meaning of their own song, citing some type of “stream of consciousness” thing going on at the time it was penned. I’ll admit I’m not very good at deciphering song lyrics. I’ll sometimes think I know, but usually find out either through the author’s explanation or someone else’s more logical interpretation that I was way off. But that’s not gonna stop me from occasionally takin’ a crack at it here. Let me know while you’re laughing at me how far off I am. Or, I may be so befuddered by a song that I’ll have to back off completely and hope someone in the comment section comes up with something that makes sense.


Superman (It’s Not Easy) – Five For Fighting
Most interpretations say this song is about men in general. More specifically, a family man providing for his family… a metaphorical Superman. But my interpretation takes the song literally. I think it’s presented from the perspective of that peculiar homeless man (wish that I could…find a way to lie about a home I’ll never see) that can be found wandering around downtown in most any major city. This particular deranged man is literally wearing a funny red sheet, digging for kryptonite on a one way street as people look the other way (up up and away away from me) when they walk or drive by. But there’s a fine line between disturbed and crazy. He knows he can’t really fly, he’s not THAT naïve (I’m not crazy or anything). He knows he’s disturbed, but that doesn’t mean he’s to be discarded (I’m more than a bird, I’m more than a plane). And he’s clever enough to reflect the “naïve” accusation back (It may sound absurd but don’t be naïve, Even heroes have the right to bleed, I may be disturbed but won’t you concede, Even heroes have the right to dream). I like the balancing act between crazy and normal in this guy. Most every “normal” person has quirks. This guy just happens to be so quirky that he fancies himself a hero -- Superman. But he knows what he is (I’m only a man in a silly red sheet) and he’s doing the best he can with that (looking for special things inside of me…looking for a dream). It takes all kinds to make a world, SOMEBODY has to play his part (it’s not easy to be me).
I’ve never heard anybody interpret this song this way. But I think I’m spot on, here. Cool song, I think.


Superman (It’s Not Easy)
Five For Fighting

I can't stand to fly
I'm not that naive
I'm just out to find 
The better part of me
I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane
I'm more than some pretty face beside a train
And it's not easy to be me
I wish that I could cry
Fall upon my knees
Find a way to lie
Bout a home I'll never see
It may sound absurd but don't be naive
Even heroes have the right to bleed
I may be disturbed but won't you concede
Even heroes have the right to dream?
And it's not easy to be me
Up up and away away from me
Well it's all right
You can all sleep sound tonight
I'm not crazy or anything
I can't stand to fly
I'm not that naive
Men weren't meant to ride
With clouds between their knees
I'm only a man in a silly red sheet
Digging for kryptonite on this one way street
Only a man in a funny red sheet
Looking for special things inside of me
Inside of me, inside of me, yeah
Inside of me, inside of me
I'm only a man in a funny red sheet
I'm only a man looking for a dream
I'm only a man in a funny red sheet
And it's not easy, it's not easy to be me

  


No comments: