Saturday, January 23, 2016

                  joeseddit’s
‘Cipherin’ The Song
Many songwriters refuse to offer the meaning of their lyrics, instead preferring to allow the listener to come up with his/her own interpretation. And surprisingly, some songwriters admit that they don’t even know the meaning of their own song, citing some type of “stream of consciousness” thing going on at the time it was penned. I’ll admit I’m not very good at deciphering song lyrics. I’ll sometimes think I know, but usually find out either through the author’s explanation or someone else’s more logical interpretation that I was way off. But that’s not gonna stop me from occasionally takin’ a crack at it here. Let me know while you’re laughing at me how far off I am. Or, I may be so befuddered by a song that I’ll have to back off completely and hope someone in the comment section comes up with something that makes sense.


Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
The live album introduces this one as a “song of hope”. I don’t know. You tell me. The first verse seems to be about a lady who overvalues money. And apparently that buys her way into heaven, I guess. The second verse says she wants to be sure about the sign on the wall because sometimes words can have two meanings. Yeah, and sometimes words can have no meaning at all. At least from what I can ‘cipher. At the very least it makes me wonder.
“There’s a feeling I get when I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving.”
Robert Plant is English so I guess he’s considering America. But then he’s sees voices. And rings of smoke in trees. So once again, it makes me wonder.
“And it’s whispered that soon, if we all call the tune, Then the piper will lead us to reason.”
Ok, now we’re getting somewhere. We all know about the piper. The dude’s a walking metaphor. Follow the piper, he’s gonna lead us to a reason for all of this.
“If there’s a bustle in your hedgerow, don’t be alarmed now, It’s just a spring clean for the May Queen.”
Ever had a bustle in your hedgerow?  Me neither, so I guess I’d be alarmed if I did, hard to say. Actually, I suppose there could be a symbolic message in that line. Something akin to keeping your cool in a stressful situation. And there’s still time to change the road your on if you want to. Where’s the piper? He’ll lead the way.
“Your head is humming and it won’t go, in case you don’t know, The piper’s calling you to join him”
There’s the piper. Thank god. Not a second too soon. Let’s join him “as we wind on down the road”.
“Our shadow’s taller than our soul.”
Well, we can do something with that. Soul…heaven. There’s a connection there. Shadow could be symbolic of something dark and sinister, so maybe our evil is preventing our soul from climbing the stairway to heaven. I’m just spitballin’, here.
“There walks a lady we all know, Who shines while light and wants to show, How everything still turns to gold.”
There’s that lady again. What happened to the piper? I guess he’s done all he could for us, led us winding down the road. At that point, the torch is passed to the lady so she can bring us home. Big finish, now. Killer, majestic guitar solo coming up.
“And if you listen very hard, The tune will come to you at last.”
Ok, I’m listening. Let’s have it.
“When all are one and one is all, To be a rock and not to roll.”
Ahhh, to be a rock and not to…wait a minute, what?
Obviously I’m not smart enough to figure this one out so I took the path of the shallow and ignorant: if you don’t understand something, make fun of it. It’s a great song and I’m sure there’s an excellent legitimate interpretation. I just don’t know what it is so I’ll have to defer to the wise on this one.


Stairway to Heaven
Led Zeppelin
There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven.
When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for.
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to heaven.
There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.
In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings,
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven.
Ooh, it makes me wonder,
Ooh, it makes me wonder.
There's a feeling I get when I look to the west,
And my spirit is crying for leaving.
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees,
And the voices of those who stand looking.
Ooh, it makes me wonder,
Ooh, it really makes me wonder.
And it's whispered that soon, if we all call the tune,
Then the piper will lead us to reason.
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long,
And the forests will echo with laughter.
If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now,
It's just a spring clean for the May queen.
Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on.
And it makes me wonder.
Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know,
The piper's calling you to join him,
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind?
And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul.
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold.
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last.
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll.
And she's buying a stairway to heaven.






No comments: